The Museum in Tarnowskie Góry was founded in 1958 on the initiative of The Society of Friends of History and Relics of the Tarnowskie Góry Land (today’s The Society of Friends of the Tarnowskie Góry Land)
During the interwar period some efforts were made to establish a regional museum. In 1938 mayor Fryderyk Antes asked the residents of Tarnowskie Góry to collect exhibits for a future museum. Unfortunately, it had to be stopped when World War II broke out a year later. But after the war, on September 6, 1958 the first exhibition was opened after a renovation in the Sedlaczek House.
The Museum is still located on the second floor of the Sedlaczek House – a 16th c. tenement house which used to be the seat of starostas of Bytom land. The building hosted many famous guests like kings John III Sobieski, Augustus II the Strong or poets J.W. Goethe, J.U. Niemcewicz. In 1805 it was bought by Johann Sedlaczek, a merchant from Bohemia, who not only gave the building its current name but also started there a winery which exists till today.
The elevation and the interior of the shingled Sedlaczek House have elements with significant artistic values. In front of the building, above a portal made of dolomite there is a 18th c. stucco decoration with puttos holding a curtain, a coat of arms and a knight’s helmet with a plume. On the quoin below the roof – a 17th c. polychromed stone head with a plume. In 1957-1958 two ceilings were discovered on the second floor. The bigger one in the Renaissance Room is an ornamented polychromed wooden ceiling from the 16th c., covered with images of flowers, fruits and busts. In the Museum’s hall a portal with a Reneisassance cornice leads to a Baroque room with another ceiling. It’s decorated with a floral molding from the 1st half of the 18th c.
Initially, Museum was divided into the following departments: mining, history and ethnography. Today there are four departments: history (combined with mining), ethnography, arts and education.
The Museum collects objects connected with history and culture of Tarnowskie Góry and Tarnowskie Góry County (Powiat). Today it owns over 6000 objects in total. The Museum displays its collections on permanent and temporary exhibitions. The Renaissance Room is equipped with Renaissance or Neo-Renaissance furniture and a collection of Western painting. The room hosts concerts, Evening under the Reinaissance ceiling, conferences and lessons.
The most interesting collections are: Western painting, sobiesciana, masonica (cups, badges, ritual aprons and sashes), souvenirs from the Shooting Brotherhood. Sobiesciana has its own exhibition which displays paintings, graphics, medals, arms from the time of king Sobieski and objects connected with the Battle of Vienna or the king and his descendants.
The Musuem in Tarnowskie Góry received many prizes for its activity. Several of them in ‚The most interesting Museum event of the year’ contest: